Updated: Jan 12
Have you been thinking about starting a new career, making more money, and having the time, freedom, and flexibility at your job? Are you wondering if getting a real estate license is worth it?
What Is a Real Estate Agent?
Real estate agents are small business owners who make their schedules, market their own business, generate their leads, and have the freedom to grow. This is a big responsibility, but for many people, this is the ideal job. While these are only a few things that make this an attractive career, here is our list of the 8 reasons to become a real estate agent in 2022.
Do You Need a Real Estate License?
The answer is yes. In order to work as a real estate agent, broker, or REALTOR®, you must first obtain a real estate license in the state you wish to work in. A license allows you to represent both buyers and sellers in the transaction process of real estate or real property.
Now, here are some of the reasons it is a great choice to get a license and become a real estate agent in 2022.
1. You Don't Have to Get a College Degree College is not for everyone. According to educationdata.com, around 23 percent of college students drop out by their fourth year. There are many reasons why some might not find college to be the right fit, including:
Poor social fit
Lack of family support
Length of time to get a degree
While college is expensive, time-consuming, and socially unappealing to some, real estate education is cost-effective, brief, and can be completed on your schedule from the comfort of your home, office, or nearby coffee shop!
2. You Make Your Schedule As an industry professional, you get to work when you want and however long you want. All of your success is entirely up to you, and you dictate what you want to do with your time. Maybe you want to go on a week-long vacation or take a day or two off; or maybe you want to work 10 hours each day to get ahead and expand in your market. It's entirely up to you!
3. You Get to Work from Home Many people find it difficult to flourish in an office, working the typical 9 AM-5 PM schedule. As a licensed real estate agent or broker, you can be out meeting new people, seeing beautiful homes, and negotiating new deals.
If you are not negotiating new deals, you may be working on marketing or finding new clients. This can oftentimes be done from home or in an environment that is suitable for helping you focus and get things done. Having the options of working remotely may also help you free up more time to spend with your friends and family.
4. You Get to Dress How You Want One of the best advantages about working in the real estate industry is the freedom to build your business around your most profitable asset, YOU! We are all more happy, creative and effective when we are free to dress in our preferred style. In the real estate industry, you get to carve out your own niche and build a brand that is authentic to you. Let’s be clear, in a competitive market, appearance matters, and it is important to know what type of dress is appropriate for the clientele you want to attract. But you get to bring your own style.
5. You Get to Meet New People One of the most significant advantages of getting a real estate license is that you get the opportunity to meet people you would never ordinarily be able to meet. A career in real estate is the perfect opportunity for being social, making new connections, and learning about people from all walks of life.
In real estate, networking is a crucial part of becoming successful and making more money. Networking can be thought of as the art and science of meeting people and building relationships. Oftentimes, industry professionals will refer to this as building your sphere of influence. As your sphere of influence grows, you will find that you will get to meet more people and acquire more leads.
6. You Decide Your Income In real estate, you directly control your annual income. Unlike a salaried position, you are entirely in control of how much money you make. You truly can make as little or as much as you want depending on how much work you put in and how dedicated you are to becoming successful. This makes real estate one of the best career paths for entrepreneurs and individuals with drive, focus, and a strong work ethic.
7. You Get to See Incredible Houses An exciting perk working in real estate is being able to view incredible homes. If you build your business in the luxury market, you will be among those with access to homes with breathtaking views, superb architecture and exclusive locations. According to Housing Wire, the best marketing for luxury real estate are:
Palm Beach, Florida
Brooklyn, New York
8. You Never Stop Learning One of the most exciting aspects is the opportunity to continue learning and progressing as you advance in your career. The real estate industry is constantly evolving. As a REALTOR®, you will have the ability to evolve with the industry, adopt new technologies, and learn new skills to become successful and stand out from your competition.